I have to say, I've been very impressed by Burger King recently. First, their social networking genius idea of unfriending people on Facebook for free food, and now this: electricity generation from the drive-thru.
A BK franchise in Hillside, New Jersey is teaming up with New Energy Technologies, Inc. to install a Motion Power energy harvester in the drive-thru. This installation will work as a durability test.
The technology works like this: cars drive over a bunch of tiny strips; the kinetic energy of the moving cars is captured and reused. According to the manufacturer, the technology has the following advantages:
- Cost-effective -- easy to manufacture and low operating costs
- Simple and reliable mechanical configuration which is easy to maintain
- Ease of Installation
- Low-profile assembly can be mounted directly atop existing roadways with little or no modifications to roadways
- Modular scalable configuration
- Can be installed in virtually any location
Cool idea - fingers crossed that it passes the durability tests and we're driving over these things everywhere soon :)