What are the solutions? Well, a better coffee option at work might help. Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Get a barista machine and provide higher-end coffee
- Add a staffed barista kiosk available in the office part time
- Provide travel mugs and encourage employees to use them
- Provide exclusively organic free-trade coffee – locally grown if possible
- Brew large pots in a standard drip coffee maker and compost the grounds
- Use sugar and cream dispensers rather than individual packets
Would these be more sustainable options? Possibly, depending upon implementation. It’s definitely worth thinking about.