I just read an incredibly disturbing article...Earth's Eighth Continent (http://thetyee.ca/News/2007/11/21/PacificGarbagePatch/). This describes a giant patch of trash out in the Pacific Ocean that is twice the size of Texas! Unbelievable.
- Properly sort recyclables so that they don't end up at the dump
- Ensure our service providers (both office cleaning folks and the waste companies) dispose of our waste in the appropriate ways
- Pick up all remnants from trash day
- Secure trash and recyclables in bags or bins so wind doesn't send it into the storm drains or nearby streams
- Pick up trash out on the street/in our backyards/wherever
- Purchase items in bulk or items with no/minimal packaging
- Reduce consumption...which means less trash!
A few simple steps will at least help slow the growth of the Pacific trash heap.